Thursday, August 4, 2011

Another portrait!


Here's a watercolor of Woody Allen that I did today while listening to an interesting NPR's Radiolab podcast about communication between artificial intelligence and humans. This guy had essentially a computer talking to his secretary just asking her questions based on the secretary's responses, and they had a complete conversation. Example:

Secretary: You remind me of my husband.
Computer: Why do I remind you of your husband?
Secretary: Because you don't put up a fight.
Computer: So you don't think I put up a fight?

The secretary actually told her boss to leave her alone while she talked to the thing. Incredible. It was suggested that this could change psychology forever, but I disagree. If we knew it was a machine giving us responses, I do not think we would get the same results. If it were secretly done, maybe. There's just something enigmatic about dealing with another human, something unpredictable that gives me a jolt of energy just interacting with another person.

No comments: